The mission of our parent company, Bridges To America, is to “Aid African Families.”
Save-A-Thon For Africa provides that aid by engaging youth through soccer. We have done this almost exclusively in Nigeria, West Africa.
As has been recently reported and written about here by our founder, there is an humanitarian disaster quietly unfolding in Northeastern Nigeria.
We are a small (but kick-ass) social impact company and it is time for us to act!
Here is the plan for what we are calling: Balls For Borno
MISSION-Deliver 100+ soccer balls to youth in an IDP or Refugee Camp in Borno State, Nigeria.
PURPOSE-Ameliorate suffering with smiles that only soccer can bring.
- Safely and equitably deliver 100+ donated soccer balls to youth in these camps.
- Show the world that if a small NGO like BRIDGES can make an impact then much larger NGOs can and should immediately focus their attention on providing food and essential resources to Borno.
- Further display the credibility and capability of BRIDGES in executing this mission to secure financial support from potential partners and funders so that we can continue to operate our mission to “Save Lives by Changing Futures” through our efforts with Save-A-Thon and Refugee Soccer.
If we are going to go, and we ARE, we have to go NOW! Children are dying and the people in these camps are in unthinkable conditions and mired in hopelessness.
June depending on fundraising and the security situation.
COST- Total ~$20,000
HOW CAN YOU HELP?-
- Donate whatever you can here. Or you can buy an indestructible soccer ball from our new partner, OneWorldPlay. Check it out here.
- Start a “Balls for Borno Campaign” to buy/gather balls to be hand-delivered to youth in Borno, Nigeria. Click here if you are interested and we will respond immediately with more details.
- Share this campaign with your social network broadly and often using the #BallsForBorno
- Why soccer balls? Why not food?
- Soccer gives these kids something to do. They LOVE soccer and it’s that one thing to help get their mind off the horrible conditions in which they live. Soccer helps build a sense of community and teamwork and contributes to their health and well-being.
- BRIDGES is simply not equipped to provide food and other necessities. That is the express mission of much larger NGOs. We are sticking to what we know.
- Why Nigeria?
- Can I go with you?
- There is room for a maximum of TWO volunteers to come with our founder, Adam Miles, and actively help execute the mission. It will cost $7,500 “all-in.” You need to be an adult, have passport in hand, life insurance paid up, and be ready to move immediately.
The kids are waiting for someone to show them they matter. That’s us. Let’s go!